Wednesday, October 5, 2011

a mother answers a question. sort of.

Another classmate from our high school graduating class died this past week. Three in one year and the year is not over yet...Dylan sat at his desk and looked at me when I mentioned it, "Why are you talking about this?" he asked before going on, "are you afraid of death?"
It had been a bad day. I waved the question away and replied, "No..no, death would just be a release", and then with my hand flapping around the random thoughts continued, "from all of this." The packing, the boxes, the moving, the uncertainty of life...he looked stricken, for just a moment, as a "what?" passed across his face to which I quickly followed up with, "oh, I don't want to die. Not yet, not for a long time..but.." (in fact I rarely think about it having too many other things going on, until..) and we skirted the issue while he leaned back in his chair, talking about other things.


"The day we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity."  Seneca

(you know if I were a really young woman I would have the biggest crush on Chris Martin, seriously!..but I'm not, so I don't. but if I were...)

No comments:

Post a Comment