Monday, June 27, 2011

inducted....

Dylan was laying on the couch today, exhausted and long and tan, having returned from St. Louis where he had been testing and going through physicals for the Air Force. "I was inducted".  He said, telling me about his weekend. "Inducted?", what does that mean? I was in denial and sweating and red of face from my afternoon run until finally, it hit me: inducted..so I sat down after covering the chair with a towel. "When do you leave?" I asked and he didn't know, in a month or two depending on what he chooses to do. "Well, I will be staying here for awhile", I told him, letting him know that there would be a place for him to stay, to come home to, at least for now. He smiled and closed his eyes and told me some more about his weekend.

So that is that. He is leaving, sooner rather than later and Chuck is on his own and Ray stays at his dad's house which is walking distance to campus and in a neighborhood of old neighbors and cool houses and winding roads and leafy dead-end lanes.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." Elizabeth Stone

(actually, the term is not "inducted", the term is "sworn in"...my bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment