Tuesday, January 4, 2011

it began as a thought...

He isn't the same. He comes at you with claws. Dylan turned his wrist to me and said, "Look what he has been doing to me?"..."I know..." and showed him my hand. Scratch marks, from Star, who now sits at the end of my bed, mildly, almost mournfully. There is no one around anymore. Well, we are. But with Huxeley gone (to Mary and Jim's house because Jim's shihtzu died and he retired, with heart problems..and anyway, at the time...) but that was so long ago it seems.
It happened tonight. Laying in bed reading. Dylan across the hall. A body pump class in forty minutes. What on earth impelled (propelled?) me to want a dog. To look at the Central Missouri Humane Society's web site. To begin researching the breeds available? (temperament, etc...What?)
Dylan came into my room and leaned against the end of my bed, kneeling.."So we'll go down tomorrow after school?" he asked, adding, "I've always wanted a dog."


"We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment." George Eliot

(reading through the bible this year..well, reading through the bible...anyone else?...anyone?)

No comments:

Post a Comment