Sunday, November 29, 2009

a demain Chuck

Chuck moved out today. An overcast Sunday. I was relieved when he said he was looking forward to moving. "Hate to tell you this mom, but I'm really looking forward to having my own place." ..Whew and praise the lord. What remains now is the detritus. The strewn trash, dvd's, games, an old game system on the floor, all remain to be picked up. I clean the trash. Recover ten dollars worth of change off the floor. Pick up clothes and towels piled in a corner. Dylan shakes his head, his red and black mohawk hat on. His eyes with that far-away, "you've got to be kidding me" look. He neither likes nor respects his older brother. Why the animosity?

Still, I am happy with this turn of events. It happened so fast and that is the amazing thing about life. It goes along and goes along and things seem to remain static for what seems like so very long.. Then, suprise: your oldest son has a job, has opened a checking account, saved some money, looked for apartments, decided on one, signed a lease and voila....he has moved. And while you were at a suprise birthday party for one of your best girl-friends. In a three hour time span, he moved. They were here, Chuck and Natalie, standing in the kitchen, eating pizza before I went out. They were gone, the room stripped, when I returned.

Now: It is Monday morning. The washer turns upstairs, the dryer spins, clink, clink, clink. It is a sunny day. The beauty of Sunday, cold and overcast that it was, stays smeared on me, etched on my soul(?). And the loveliness of not working for once, of seeing the boys and going out with friends and seeing some of their friends, and talking to new people, and sharing silly things stays also. Life is rich and we are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment